Few days ago i was in need of installing imagick in windows to make it work under xampp. Default installation of doesn't contains imagick . To make imagick work on windows you need both extension and imagick binaries
it was easy to setup xampp + imagick in my linux vps . but quite hard on my windows laptop . ok its not hard but there's limited information about how to set it up.
i tried the obvious way and it crashed php-cgi.
by doing some research i found that all image magick distribution after version 188.8.131.52 under windows are compiled with vc10 instead of vc9 . as xampp is compiled in vc9 it didn't worked with the latest version imagick .
the solution is use the older version.
so in order to make it work first download
- Xampp latest version, thread safe and compiled with with vc9 from here . i am using version 1.7.7
- Get the imagick extension for php form http://valokuva.org/builds/ get the latest one and obviously vc9 ts version
- Get the old build of imagick from here http://image_magick.veidrodis.com/image_magick/binaries/ make sure its 184.108.40.206 or under and windows dll. i am using ImageMagick-6.6.4-0-Q16-windows-dll.exe
Now its time to install .
1. Install xampp .
during the install make sure Add application directory to your system path is selected
3. put the php_imagick_ts.dll inside xampp\php\ext folder .
4. edit your php.ini and add this at the end of the file
restart apache from xampp control panel.